27 February 2010

Sad Clown Saturday

"There can't be good living where there is not good drinking."
- Benjamin Franklin



Since I moved into my honey's place last year, I've been hellbent on making it feel like it's OUR place and not just his place that I moved into. Really it didn't take a lot of work- I generally like his style and the place was a good fit for us- but a few coats of paint here and there, new shower curtains, a bit of tchothckes strewn about and voila! Shared space.

The biggest struggle for us (i.e. me) is the dining room. I was able to rescue an old credenza from an estate sale years ago and this year, I spent a little dough on refinishing it. Staining it a little darker and going with a painted top (Sherwin Williams Rock Garden- a mid-grade forest green) really made it look cool and chic without feeling too formal. It makes a fantastic bar that actually holds nearly EVERYTHING we have, a mystery of the universe unto itself since our bar contains well over 50 bottles of various liquors plus mixers and other sundry items. I painted the walls a cool purple tone-- Benjamin Moore Amethyst Sky- and so far, that's just about it. Not cool at all, though it is on its way to being a lot cooler with the addition of a 32" flatscreen on the wall between the two windows. Hooray for having a TV on the main floor-- no more fighting over DVR time vs. PS3 time!

So, the major thing that we need in the place is window coverings. The two windows in the dining room face the next building and they're insulated with kitten fur as best as I can tell. So I called Eddie Z's Blinds because they were running a sale. The guy came out and the estimate was.....$450!!!! And that was WITH a BOGO deal they're running. Hence the title of this post. No honeycomb light-filtering blinds for me just yet apparently...I think I might head out to the Depot later and see what I can find. Until then, it's a Sad Clown Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment