26 February 2010

First Post!

"In an ideal world, we could be more impermeable. We would be unshaken whether we were ignored or noticed, admired or ridiculed. If someone praised us insincerely, we would not be unduly seduced. And if we had carried out a fair assessment of our strengths and decided upon our value, another's suggestion that we were inconsequential would not wound us. We would know our worth."
- Alain de Botton, Status Anxiety

I think I like the idea of starting off every post with a quote and this one is a good start. It's the sense of being safe in your own skin, knowing your limitations are set expressly by yourself and being able to turn off the voice that says, "You can't. You won't. You suck." That voice isn't yours: it's the voice of what you think everyone else will say. We need to silence that voice and really know our worth.

The main reason I included that quote was because, for a while now, people have told me I need a blog. I'd never really committed to writing one because I was afraid of how I'd fill the space, what people would say (and conversely, would it be ignored?), if I'd have the time, how many posts about my cat would the Internet be able to handle...excuses, excuses, excuses. Fill the space? I think I can deal with writing a short post every other day or at least when the spirit moved me. What will people say (or not!)? Screw 'em. This is for me and if you also happen to appreciate it, rock on! The time? Seriously, it's minutes a day. Multitudinous cat posts? I'm sure you'll find him at least half as charming as I do, but if not, suck it. He's super awesome.

Excuses have been running rampant in my life lately and I'm putting my foot down. I'm going to find an audience, find the time, and find my voice. And I'm pretty damn excited about it.


My biggest concern is this: what exactly am I going to write about? I know I'll end up talking about cooking and gardening since planting season is just around the corner. There will be at least a post or two a month about my Lokimonster because he is my goofy and beloved furbaby. If I read something interesting or see something on television that needs to be shared, I will. I love fashion and will likely try to do a quarterly look at trends. I'll probably end up bitching and moaning about working out since I'm planning on starting a actual workout regimen. AND....I'll likely start blogging about the eternal struggle to quit smoking. Ugh. I'm figuring that if I touch on at least one of those topics once in a while, I'll keep myself on the blogger wagon.

Alright, so real quick: I'm a Chicagoland native (Aurora, to be exact) living in the city with a handsome man and my kitten, working for a company I've been with for 5+ years. I'm an avid reader, television watcher, NPR listener, cynic and comedienne. My life is not so bad at all and it's only going to be getting better. :)

And for the record, these posts are not all going to be such long missives....just getting my sea legs as it were. Also THANKS ANGIE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment